Real talk. I made these cookies MONTHS ago with full intent of posting and sharing as soon as possible. In fact, I made an Instagram post saying I would be sharing the recipe “SOON.”
Errr, seeing as I’m only writing the post now, you might’ve guessed that I completely and totally forgot about it. Yeah, this is a one big *facepalm* of a moment.
I seriously doubt anyone has been waiting for this recipe, but if you saw my Insta post back in March and were interested: I’M SORRY. Your girl here is a big mess. And a terrible blogger. I LOVE YOU ALL FOR STICKING WITH ME.
Onto the good stuff. The actual recipe! The texture is similar to an ooey gooey butter cake or texas gold bars. Instead of that buttery flavor you get with those desserts, these cookies are jam-packed full of lemony goodness. It’s rich, gooey, and decadent without being overly so.
The glaze is what MAKES these cookies, in my opinion. Then again I am a frosting person. So if you’re not a frosting person like me, you can easily skip it. The cookies themselves are delicious on it’s own! For me though, I need that extra sweet lemony kick. Describing this is making my mouth water for more! In conclusion, these cookies are:
- ooey and gooey
- rich but not overly so
- full of fresh lemon flavor
- freakin’ delicious
Here’s the recipe!
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 1½ cups sugar, plus ⅓ cup for rolling
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted and warm
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- Zest of 1 small lemon
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment sheets and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Place the 1½ cups sugar and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl. Using a metal whisk, stir until combined. Pour the melted butter over the mixture, then add the vegetable oil, egg, lemon zest, milk, and lemon juice. Whisk until combined. Stir in the flour mixture with a silicone spatula until the dough is cohesive and smooth. It will still be very moist.
- Using a cookie scoop, generously scoop the dough (you want about 2 tablespoons of dough per cookie) and roll into the reserved sugar. Evenly space cookie balls on the sheet. Bake for 6 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake for another 5-6 minutes or until set around the edges. Allow the cookies to cool for about 5 minutes on the pan and then transfer to a cooling rack to glaze.
- Once cooled prepare the glaze by whisking the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest together until well combined. Spoon onto the top of the cookies. Allow to sit and dry, glaze will harden.
- Store cookies in airtight container at room temperature. Enjoy!
Thanks for visiting Will Bake for Books! ♥