Happy Hump Day! An ingredient I really love tinkering with in my recipes is oats. They are high in fiber and contain many good nutrients and antioxidants. Plus, they simply taste good. I love adding them to random recipes and one of my favorite snacks ever are granola bars. I thought I would make some with chocolate and peanut butter, because why not?! I added my fiber supplement I take on the daily, which is amazing and has helped me a lot with digestive issues. It’s called Nopalina Flax Seed Plus Fiber, and you can buy it here on Amazon. If you’re not interested in a fiber supplement, simply replace the Nopalina with regular flax seed.
These bars help in two departments. First, they are super super healthy and have so many wonderful minerals and such! Second, they really do satisfy those sweet cravings. The chocolate makes these bars feel downright decadent. I almost forgot it wasn’t a dessert! Enjoy this recipe below. 🙂
- 2½ cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup Nopalina flax seed plus fiber OR regular flax seed
- ¼ cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 2-4 TB. almond flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- 2 TB. coconut oil, at room temp
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips (dark if you prefer!)
- Line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper or foil. Grease lightly with a bit of coconut oil.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together oats, flax seed, cocoa, almond flour, and salt.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, stir together honey, peanut butter, and coconut oil. Wait until melted, then bring to a boil. Once it starts boiling, cook for 1 minute, constantly stirring so it doesn't burn.
- Pour liquid mixture over dry mixture and stir until fully combined. Let rest for 1 minute, then stir in mini chocolate chips. Most will melt, so keep some aside for top.
- Press mixture down in pan. Let cool for a couple minutes, then sprinkle with more mini chocolate chips if desired.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours, then cut into bars. Store in an airtight container at either room temp or in the fridge. Enjoy!
Thanks for visiting Will Bake for Books! ♥