Extra Crumb Cinnamon Struesel Sour Cream Coffee Cake…this recipe is a mouthful. A mouthful meaning it takes a really long time to say, and that you will keep your mouth full as soon as this gets out of the oven. Trust me.
So, I have been trying to eat healthier lately. The problem is, I love baking. I love baked goods. I love sugar. I love bakeries. I love…well, you get the point. For me, there’s nothing better than a nice chunk of cake, cup of coffee, and reading a book. Perfection.
Let’s just say, my diets never usually last that long.
I will have some future healthy desserts coming up soon.
This isn’t one of them.
But it is absolutely delicious! This recipe is adapted from Joy the Baker Cookbook: 100 Simple and Comforting Recipes. It’s a keeper!
Extra Crumb Cinnamon Struesel Sour Cream Coffee Cake
(Adapted from Joy the Baker Cookbook)
Makes 1 very large 13×9 coffee cake
- CINNAMON STRUESEL TOPPING:
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1½ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 6 tbsp. butter, melted
- BROWN SUGAR FILLING:
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1½ tbsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 3 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1½ sticks butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3¾ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2½ tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup sour cream (I use Greek yogurt sometimes)
- 1½ cups milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place a rack in the upper third of the oven. Line a 13x9 pan with parchment paper, spray with nonstick spray, or grease with butter or coconut oil.
- For Cinnamon Struesel Topping- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Stir in the butter until evenly coated and set aside.
- For Brown Sugar Filling- In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
- For Cake- Using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugars until very well combined, about 4 minutes.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for 1 minute after adding each one. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the milk and sour cream (or yogurt) until well combined. No need to whisk out all the lumps.
- With the mixer on low speed, add ⅓ of the flour mixture to the batter.
- As it's mixing, add ½ of the milk mixture.
- Add another ⅓ of the flour mixture.
- Add the rest of the milk mixture.
- Add the remaining ⅓ of the flour mixture and mix until well combined, scraping down the sides of your bowl.
- Spread half of your batter in the bottom of your prepared pan, making sure to spread it to the edges.
- Sprinkle your brown sugar filling on top of the batter.
- Dollop the rest of your cake batter on top of your filling, using a spatula to spread the batter across the pan.
- Using a butter knife, gently swirl the filling into the batter.
- Sprinkle all of the topping on your cake.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool before serving. Cake will last at room temperature for about 5 days. Enjoy!
Thanks for visiting Will Bake for Books! Feel free to leave any comments or questions below. ♥