Raw Twix Bars. Vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, and actually good-tasting. A layer of “shortbread” crust, then creamy date caramel, and finally topped with smooth vegan chocolate. I made these because I was craving something sweet and they ended up being the perfect pre/post workout snack. They give a great boost of energy! These can also be called raw millionaire bars, but I like to call them twix bars because they make me feel like I’m having something indulgent. 😉
So let’s recap. These bars are…
Easy to make.
Refined sugar free.
So basically healthy.
My sister said it tasted a little “crunchy” to her (I didn’t know what that meant, I thought she literally meant they were crunchy) but since I hadn’t eaten sugar in a while I thought it was soooo desserty and yummy. You decide!
Raw Twix Bars
- 20 medjool dates pitted
- 2-3 tbsp. almond milk or any non-dairy milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 3 tbsp. almond flour
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 3/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips*
- 2 tsp. coconut oil
To make date caramel:
- Soak dates for at least 1 hour in warm water. Add pitted dates to a food processor. Pulse on low until only small bits remain. Then stream in warm almond milk while the processor is on until a creamy paste is made. You may to scrape the down sides and continue pulsing until fully blended.
- Leave as is, or add a pinch of salt and vanilla extract to enhance flavor. Will keep covered in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks.
To make bars:
- Start with the crust; in a medium bowl combine flours, maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla with a spatula. Allow dough to rest for a few minutes so flour can absorb excess moisture.
- Spread coconut/almond flour dough into a lined 8×8 square pan with plastic wrap, pressing flat and evenly. Add HALF of the date caramel and spread evenly. Keep the rest for later use.
- Melt chocolate and 2 teaspoons coconut oil in a small bowl. Microwave in 15-second increments until fully melted. Pour melted chocolate in pan and spread evenly.
- Place pan in fridge and allow to set for at least 20-30 minutes. Once set, lift the plastic wrap and place on cutting board. Slice bars into 16 squares.
- Bars can be enjoyed at room temperature, but stored in refrigerator. Enjoy!