This time of year is probably my favorite season to create yummy baked goods. There’s so much inspiration with all of the fall flavors—apple, cinnamon, pumpkin, pomegranate, vanilla, etc. This particular recipe for Apple Cake is probably my favorite dessert to share at parties or events (next to a pumpkin roll!). It’s simple, fast, and oh so delicious.
I apologize for the poor quality photos, but I made this for a party and didn’t even get a picture of a piece before it was gone. I can’t show you how moist it is, but I can tell you that this is one of the moistest, tastiest cakes I’ve ever made. It has major apple flavor with just the right amount of spice—and the caramel! The caramel glaze is incredible and poured on the cake warm. It eventually hardens to a frosting-like consistency when cooled and moistens the cake even more. It’s ah-mazing.
Whether making for company, parties, family, or maybe even just for yourself ;)—this cake is definitely worth a try!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup peanut oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3½ cups apples (peeled, cored, and chopped into bite-size pieces)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1¼ cups light brown sugar, packed
- ⅓ cup milk
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13x9 inch pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and soda. Make a well in the center and add oil, applesauce, eggs and vanilla mixing very well. Batter will be thick. Fold in chopped apples and nuts. Spread into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
- To make the glaze, heat a saucepan on medium and combine brown sugar, milk and butter. Bring to a boil and continue cooking for 2½ minutes, stirring constantly. Turn off heat, then stir in vanilla. Pour over cake while still hot.
What yummies are you looking forward to making this coming holiday season? Thanks for visiting and enjoy!