My mom bought a bunch of bananas at a local fresh market recently. We wanted to bake something with them and this is what we came up with – Banana Date Cake!This cake is moist, yet still has the texture of a “cake” rather than a bread. The cinnamon gives it a nice spice and I love the texture of both the bananas and dates chunks in it. It’s a pretty clean recipe as well! No refined sugar in this cake, guys. Also can easily be vegan if using maple syrup instead of honey!
This is a great breakfast/brunch cake as well. I loved it with a big cup of coffee in the morning. Plus, both kids and adults will enjoy! Recipe is below.
Original recipe is from Terry Walter’s Clean Start cookbook.
Banana Date Cake
- 10 dates pitted
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup maple syrup OR honey
- 1/4 coconut oil melted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice about 1 lime
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup white OR white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place dates in a small bowl and cover with boiling water to soften.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using parchment paper, line an 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Drain dates, add to large bowl along with bananas. Mash both together – chunks are ok! Add sweetener, coconut oil, lime juice, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients. Sift into the wet ingredients and fold gently until combined. Mixture will be thick and goopy – that’s fine! Try not to over mix.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool before slicing and serving! If you’d like, you can serve drizzled with melted chocolate!